Our Swedish friend, whose nickname is Frau (don’t ask), claims to not know how to cook, but we beg to differ. She and her husband have traveled extensively in Asia, so many of her dishes are Asian-inspired.
Frau’s Halibut with Thai Banana Salsa (Serves 4)
For Halibut & Marinade:
- 2 pounds halibut
- 1 cup orange juice (fresh squeezed if you have it)
- 1 cup soy sauce
- Splash of olive oil
- ½ cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 2 tbsp chopped ginger (many markets carry this in a jar in the produce section – look for Christopher Ranch – fresh is fine, just more work)
Thai Banana Salsa:
- 4 firm bananas
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro for garnish
- 2 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp orange juice (fresh is best)
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce to taste
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
Mix marinade ingredients together and marinate halibut for a minimum of 12 hours.
Slice bananas (about 1/8 inch thick). In separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients, then pour over bananas and gently combine.
Bake halibut at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes (depends on thickness, check for doneness).